Import Control / Export Certification - Imported Food Control

Imported Food Control

Import requirements for food are imposed for public health reasons. Certain high risk imported food like milk, milk beverages, frozen confections, game, meat, poultry and eggs are governed by subsidiary legislation of the Public Health and Municipal Services Ordinance (Cap. 132). Import of game or eggs requires the prior permission of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department and import of meat, poultry or eggs is confined to sources recognised by the Department. For the release of imported food, importers are required to provide health certificates issued by the issuing entities of exporting countries/places.

Imported Food Control

With the cooperation of the Mainland authorities, all imported vegetables are accompanied by identification tags and export certificates of vegetables supplied to Hong Kong and Macau '供港澳蔬菜出貨清單'. Samples of vegetables are taken from lorries for testing of pesticide residue at Man Kam To Food Control Office. Live food animals are also subject to inspection and testing at Man Kam To, wholesale markets and slaughterhouses.

Performance Pledge

Advice to Travellers

In accordance with the Imported Game, Meat , Poultry and Eggs Regulations (Chapter 132AK, Laws of Hong Kong), it is an offence to bring any game, meat, poultry or eggs into Hong Kong without health certificate issued by an issuing entity of the place of origin and / or without prior written permission granted by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department. An offender shall be liable on conviction to a fine of HK$50,000 and to imprisonment for 6 months.

Travellers should note that under normal circumstances, issuing entities of different places only issue health certificates to food traders for business purposes. Persons who wish to obtain such certificates for bringing game, meat , poultry or eggs into Hong Kong should check with the relevant issuing entity in the place of origin and make application where there are arrangements for issuance of health certificates to individuals.

For enquiries, please contact Health Inspector (Import/Export) Import Licensing at (852) 2156 3041 or (852) 2156 3042. Enquiries may also be sent to the following e-mail address : or by fax at (852) 2521 4784.

Import Control and Food Safety Guidelines

* The word "chilled" refers to the pre-chilling process of food with subsequent storage at a temperature between 0℃ and 4℃ .

News for Importers and Trader

Performance Pledge