Dietary sodium and sugar intakes are closely related to health. Excessive sodium intake will increase the risk of developing hypertension, fatal stroke and coronary heart disease while dietary sugar intake is a determinant of body weight and dental caries.
The Centre for Food Safety (CFS) of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department has been striving to safeguard food safety and promote healthy eating in Hong Kong, including conducting relevant risk assessment studies, implementing nutrition labelling scheme in prepackaged foods and preparing trade guidelines on reducing dietary sodium, sugar and fats.
International Advisory Panel on Reduction of Salt and Sugar in Food (formerly known as International Advisory Panel on Reduction of Dietary Sodium and Sugars in Hong Kong)
To promote healthy diets with less salt and sugar, the Government set up an International Advisory Panel (IAP) on Reduction of Dietary Sodium and Sugar in early 2014, and appointed five renowned public health experts from the Mainland and overseas as members. In Mar 2015, all members accepted the appointment by the Secretary for Food and Health, and the Panel was retitled to International Advisory Panel (IAP) on Reduction of Salt and Sugar in Food. IAP members will share experience in other jurisdictions and offer professional advice on the reduction of salt and sugar intake by the local population in Hong Kong, including but not limited to: (a) assessment of local situation; (b) setting out priority areas of reduction of salt and sugars in food and formulation of local reduction targets; (c) formulation, implementation and evaluation of action plans; and (d) promotion and public education strategy.
- Food Safety Day 2017 – Hong Kong’s Action on Salt and Sugar Reduction: Read Labels, Choose Smartly Uploaded on 26/10/2017
- Low-Salt and Low-Sugar Front-of-pack Label Design Competition, Smart Choices for Low-Salt and Low-Sugar Slogan Writing cum Poster Design Competition - List of Awardees Uploaded on 25/10/2017
- Food Safety Day 2016 – Hong Kong’s Action on Salt and Sugar Reduction cum Junior Chefs’Culinary Ideas of Salt and Sugar Reduction Competition and Award Presentation Ceremony
- World Health Day 2016 - Diabetes
- Let's Beat Diabetes
- International Symposium on Reduction of Salt and Sugar in Food
- Public Lecture
- Healthy eating tips in Lunar New Year food by the Committee on Reduction of Salt and Sugar in Food (with photos) (24 January 2017)
- Committee on Reduction of Salt and Sugar in Food discusses measures to reduce salt and sugar (8 January 2016)
- CFS encourages public to develop healthy eating habit with less salt and sugar (26 June 2015)
- Centre for Food Safety holds international symposium to promote healthy diet with less salt and sugar (12 May 2015)
- Government sets up committee to promote reduction of salt and sugar in food (13 March 2015)
- CFS launches Facebook page on Hong Kong's Action on Salt and Sugars Reduction (16 January 2015)
- CFS strives to reduce dietary sodium and sugars in Hong Kong (with photo/video) (11 November 2014)
- Reduction of Salt and Sugar in Food (Informative note) (14 April 2015))
- Reduction of Salt and Sugar in Food (14 April 2015)
- Reduction of Salt and Sugar Content in Food (28 May 2013)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Hong Kong's Action on Salt and Sugar Reduction "Updated in May 2015"
- Reduce dietary sodium (salt) in Hong Kong (Public) "Updated in December 2015"
- Reduce dietary sodium (salt) in Hong Kong (Trade) "Updated in December 2015"
- Reduce dietary sugar in Hong Kong (Public) "Updated in December 2015"
- Reduce dietary sugar in Hong Kong (Trade) "Updated in December 2015"