Imported Food Control
Import requirements for food are imposed for public health reasons. Certain high risk imported food like milk, milk products, frozen confections, game, meat and poultry are governed by subsidiary legislation of the Public Health and Municipal Services Ordinance (Cap. 132). Import of game requires the prior permission of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department and import of meat and poultry is confined to sources recognised by the Department. To facilitate release of consignments, importers are encouraged to provide official health certificates issued by health authorities of exporting countries.
With the cooperation of the Mainland authorities, all imported vegetables are accompanied by identification tags and export certificates of vegetables supplied to Hong Kong and Macau '供港澳蔬菜出貨清單'. Samples of vegetables are taken from lorries for testing of pesticide residue at Man Kam To Food Control Office. Live food animals are also subject to inspection and testing at Man Kam To, wholesale markets and slaughterhouses.
Advice to Travellers
In accordance with the Imported Game, Meat and Poultry Regulations (Chapter 132AK, Laws of Hong Kong), it is an offence to bring any game, meat or poultry into Hong Kong without official certificate issued by the food authority of the place of origin and / or without prior written permission granted by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department. An offender shall be liable on conviction to a fine of HK$50,000 and to imprisonment for 6 months.
Travellers should note that under normal circumstances, food authorities of different places only issue official certificates to food traders for business purposes. Persons who wish to obtain such certificates for bringing game, meat or poultry into Hong Kong should check with the relevant authority in the place of origin and make application where there are arrangements for issuance of official certificates to individuals.
For enquiries, please contact Health Inspector (Import/Export) Import Registration at (852) 2156 3041 or (852) 2156 3042. Enquiries may also be sent to the following e-mail address : firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at (852) 2521 4784.
Import Control and Food Safety Guidelines
* The word "chilled" refers to the pre-chilling process of food with subsequent storage at a temperature between 0℃ and 4℃ .
News for Importers and Trade
- Lifting the ban of import of poultry and poultry products from Province of Gelderland, the Netherlands Uploaded on 30/7/2015
- Lifting the ban of import of poultry and poultry products from Region of Veneto, Italy Uploaded on 29/7/2015
- Lifting import ban on poultry and poultry products from State of Nebraska except Dixon County, US Uploaded on 2/7/2015
- Lifting import ban on poultry and poultry products from Province of British Columbia, Canada Uploaded on 10/6/2015
- Lifting import ban on poultry and poultry products from Békés County, Hungary Uploaded on 8/6/2015
- Lifting the ban of import of poultry and poultry products from Gongqingcheng, Jiujiang City, Jiangxi Province and Xinhua County, Loudi City, Hunan Province, China Uploaded on 27/5/2015
- Lifting the ban of import of poultry and poultry products from Provinces of Utrecht, Overijssel and South Holland, the Netherlands Uploaded on 19/5/2015
- Lifting import ban on poultry and poultry products from Okayama Prefecture and Saga Prefecture, Japan Uploaded on 24/4/2015
- Lifting import ban on poultry and poultry products from Douglas County, State of Oregon in the USA Uploaded on 15/4/2015
- Lifting import ban on poultry and poultry products from Miyazaki Prefecture and Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan Uploaded on 8/4/2015
- Lifting the country-wide ban of import of poultry and poultry products from the Netherlands Uploaded on 27/1/2015
- Resumption of import of poultry and poultry products from Stanislaus County, State of California, the United States Uploaded on 13/10/2014
- Suspension of import of poultry eggs from Russia (3/10/2014)
- Suspension of import of poultry eggs from Laos (16/9/2014)
- Resumption of import of poultry products from the Municipality of Zaltbommel, Gelderland Province, Netherlands (16/9/2014)
- US Beef import restriction partially relaxed (21/2/2013)