The legislation on the control of the use of preservatives and antioxidants in food has been amended and came into effect on July 1, 2008. To allow sufficient time for the members of the food trade to prepare for the changes brought about by the Amendment Regulation, a transitional period of two years has been given and ended on June 30, 2010.
The former Preservatives in Food Regulations were repealed on July 1, 2010. With effective from July 1, 2010, all food must comply with the amended regulation. For the details of the amended regulation (Preservatives in Food Regulation, Cap. 132BD), please visit the website of Bilingual Laws Information System.
The following User Guidelines aim to assist the trade in having a better understanding of the Amendment Regulation, especially the new food category system contained in Schedule 1 of the legislation, and to answer some of the frequently asked questions.
Public Consultation and Technical Meetings for Trade
The Centre for Food Safety started public consultation on proposed amendments to the Preservatives in Food Regulations on 14 December 2006 . The purpose of the consultation is to seek views from members of the public, trade and other stakeholders on the broad direction and principles of the amendment exercise. Two public consultation forums were held on 23 January 2007 at the Hong Kong Science Museum and 7 February 2007 at the Hong Kong Central Library respectively. The consultation period ended on 28 February 2007 .
Powerpoints used in consultation forums
- Powerpoint – Preservatives and Antioxidants, Their Functional Mechanisms in Food ( PDF )
- Powerpoint – Consultation on Amendment to Preservatives in Food Regulations ( PDF )
- Results of the public consultation exercise on proposed Amendments to Preservatives in Food Regulations (PDF)
Five technical meetings for trade were held on 12 April 2007 , 20 June 2007 , 13 September 2007 , 20 December 2007 and 29 May 2008 respectively at Conference Hall, 3/F, Edinburgh Place , Central.
- Notes of the Fifth Meeting held on 29 May 2008 (PDF)
- Notes of the Fourth Meeting held on 20 December 2007 (PDF)
- Notes of the Third Meeting held on 13 September 2007 (PDF)
- Notes of the Second Meeting held on 20 June 2007 (PDF)
- Notes of the First Meeting held on 12 April 2007 (PDF)