Ethylene oxide found in prepackaged chili powder sample from Indonesia
|Source of Information
Centre for Food Safety (CFS)
Prepackaged chili powder
|Product Name and Description
Product name: Spicy chili sprinkle
Place of origin: Indonesia
Net weight: 40 grams
Sole Distributor: Chi Shing (Golden Coconut) Trading Co. Ltd.
Best-before date: March 26, 2024
|Reason For Issuing Alert
- The CFS collected the above-mentioned sample from an online shop for testing under its routine Food Surveillance Programme. The test result showed that the sample contained a pesticide, ethylene oxide.
- The International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified ethylene oxide as a Group 1 carcinogen.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety
- The CFS has informed the vendor concerned of the irregularity and instructed them to stop sale and remove from shelves the affected batch of the product.
- According to the CFS's instructions, the sole distributor concerned has initiated a recall on the affected batch of the product.
- The CFS will alert the trade, continue to follow up on the incident and take appropriate action. An investigation is ongoing.
|Advice to the Trade
- Stop using or selling the affected batch of product concerned immediately if they possess it.
|Advice to Consumers
- Not to consume the affected batch of the product if they have bought any.
The CFS press release
Members of the public may call its hotline at 2607 3856 during office hours for enquiries about the recall of the product concerned.
Photos for reference only.
Centre for Food Safety
Food and Environmental Hygiene Department