CFS urges public not to consume several kinds of imported cereal products suspected to be contaminated with Salmonella
|Source of Information
The Centre for Food Safety (CFS)
|Product Name and Description
(1) QUAKER OATMEAL SQUARES HONEY NUT
(2) QUAKER OATMEAL SQUARES CINNAMON
(3) QUAKER OATMEAL SQUARES ORIGINAL
Pack size: 14.5 ounces
Place of origin: United States (US)
Best-before dates: January 11 to October 1, 2024
Importer: PepsiCo Beverages (HK) Ltd
|Reason For Issuing Alert
- The CFS, through its Food Incident Surveillance System, noted a notification from the Food and Drug Administration of the US that the above-mentioned products might have been contaminated by Salmonella.
- Upon learning of the incident, the CFS immediately contacted local importers for follow-up. A preliminary investigation found that the above-mentioned importer had imported into Hong Kong the affected products concerned.
- Salmonella infection may cause fever and gastrointestinal upset such as vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhoea. The effects on infants, young children, the elderly and persons with a weak immune system could be more severe and may even lead to death.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety
- The importer concerned has stopped sales, removed from shelves the affected products and has initiated a recall according to the CFS's instructions.
- The CFS will alert the trade to the incident, and will continue to follow up and take appropriate action. The investigation is ongoing.
|Advice to the Trade
- Stop using or selling the products concerned immediately if they possess them.
|Advice to Consumers
- Not to consume the affected products if they have bought any.
The CFS press release
- Members of the public may call the hotline of the importer at 2236 5480 during office hours for enquiries about the recall.
Centre for Food Safety
Food and Environmental Hygiene Department