Prepackaged egg-flavoured noodle and scallop-flavoured noodle samples detected with sulphur dioxide
|Source of Information
The Centre for Food Safety (CFS)
Prepackaged egg-flavoured noodle and scallop-flavoured noodle
|Product Name and Description
Product name: HONG KONG EGG FLAVOR NOODLE
Brand: GOURMET ALLEY
Place of origin: Hong Kong
Net weight: 454 grams
Best-before date: August 15, 2025
Manufacturer: AAA Noodle Product Manufactory (HK) Ltd
Hotline: 2614 2160
Product name: Scallop Noodles
Place of origin: China
Net weight: 454 grams
Best-before date: December 15, 2024
Distributor: PARKnSHOP (HK) Limited
Hotline: 2606 8658
|Reason For Issuing Alert
- The CFS collected the above-mentioned sample of egg-flavoured noodle from a supermarket in Chai Wan for testing under its routine Food Surveillance Programme. The test result showed that the sample contained sulphur dioxide at a level of 61 parts per million, exceeding the legal limit of 20 ppm. The functional class and name of the additive were also not declared on the food label.
- The CFS conducted follow-up investigations in a supermarket in Sham Shui Po, and found that the scallop-flavoured noodle sample contained sulphur dioxide. Although the sulphur dioxide level is below the maximum permitted level under the Preservatives in Food Regulation (Cap. 132BD), but the functional class and the name of the additive were not declared on the food label.
- Sulphur dioxide is a preservative which can be used in a variety of foods including dried vegetables, dried fruits, pickled vegetables and salted fish products. Sulphur dioxide is water soluble, and most of it can be removed through washing and cooking. However, susceptible individuals who are allergic to this preservative may experience breathing difficulties, headaches and nausea after consumption.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety
- The CFS has informed the vendors and the manufacturer/distributor concerned of the irregularities and instructed them to stop sales and remove from shelves the affected batches of the products. The manufacturer/distributor concerned have initiated recalls according to the CFS's instructions. Prosecution will be instituted should there be sufficient evidence.
- The CFS will alert the trade, continue to follow up on the incidents and take appropriate action. Investigations are ongoing.
|Advice to the Trade
Stop using or selling the affected batches of the products immediately if possess it
|Advice to Consumers
Should not consume the affected batches of the products
The CFS press release
Members of the public may call the respective hotlines during office hours for enquiries about the recalls.
Photos for reference only.
Centre for Food Safety
Food and Environmental Hygiene Department