Prepackaged preserved mustard greens and preserved plums samples in breach of food labelling regulation
|Source of Information
Centre for Food Safety (CFS)
Prepackaged preserved mustard greens and preserved plums
|Product Name and Description
Product name: Preserved Mustard Cabbage
Brand: (Not available in English)
Place of origin: China
Net weight: 227 grams
Best-before date: December 30, 2024
Distributor: EDENS TRADING COMPANY
Hotline: 2668 9728
Product name: Preserved Plum King
Brand: FRUIT AREA
Place of origin: China
Net weight: 30 grams
Best-before date: April 28, 2024
Sole agent: Foon Tai Trading Company Limited
Hotline: 2553 9668
Product name: Wake Up Kiss Plum (Snow Plum)
Brand: MAG MAG
Place of origin: Thailand
Net weight: 186 grams
Best-before date: May 3, 2024
Distributor: Ciao International Limited
Hotline: 2755 7777
|Reason For Issuing Alert
- The CFS collected the above-mentioned samples from an online vendor and a supermarket and a retail outlet in Sham Shui Po respectively for testing under its routine Food Surveillance Programme. The test results showed that the samples contained sulphur dioxide.
- Although the sulphur dioxide levels are below the maximum permitted level under the Preservatives in Food Regulation (Cap. 132BD), the functional class and/or the name of the additive were not declared on the food labels of the samples.
- Sulphur dioxide is a preservative which can be used in a variety of foods including dried vegetables, dried fruits, pickled vegetables and salted fish products. Sulphur dioxide is water soluble, and most of it can be removed through washing and cooking. However, susceptible individuals who are allergic to this preservative may experience breathing difficulties, headache and nausea after consumption.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety
- The CFS has informed the vendors concerned of the irregularities and instructed them to stop sale and remove from shelves the affected products.
- The distributors and sole agent concerned have initiated recalls according to the CFS's instructions.
- The CFS will alert the trade, continue to follow up on the incidents and take appropriate action. Investigations are ongoing.
|Advice to the Trade
- Stop using or selling the products immediately should they possess them.
|Advice to Consumers
- Do not consume the affected product.
The CFS press release
Members of the public may call the respective hotlines above during office hours for enquiries about the recalls.
(Photograph for reference only)
Centre for Food Safety
Food and Environmental Hygiene Department