Prepackaged preserved fruit sample in breach of food labelling regulation
|Source of Information
The Centre for Food Safety (CFS)
Prepackaged preserved fruit sample
|Product Name and Description
Product name: Dried Guava
Brand: YIU FUNG STORE
Net weight: 150 grams
Distributor: (Not available in English)
Best-before date: March 30, 2023
|Reason For Issuing Alert
- The CFS collected the above-mentioned sample from a retail outlet in Mong Kok for testing when following up on a related incident. The test result showed that the sample contained sulphur dioxide. Although the sulphur dioxide level is below the maximum permitted level under the Preservatives in Food Regulation (Cap. 132BD), the functional class and name of the additive were not declared on the food label.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety
- The CFS has informed the vendor concerned of the irregularity and instructed them to stop sale and remove from shelves the affected batch of the product.
- According to the CFS's instructions, the distributor concerned has initiated a recall on the affected batch of the product.
- The CFS will alert the trade, continue to follow up on the incident and take appropriate action. An investigation is ongoing.
|Advice to the Trade
- Stop using or selling the affected batches of the products concerned immediately if they possess them.
|Advice to Consumers
- Not to consume the affected batches of the products if they have bought any.
The CFS press release
Members of the public may call its hotline at 2556 5222 during office hours for enquiries about the recall of the product concerned.
Photos for reference only:
Centre for Food Safety
Food and Environmental Hygiene Department