CFS urges public not to consume a kind of imported octopus with excessive cadmium found
|Source of Information
Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF) of the European Commission
|Product Name and Description
Product name: Baby Octopus
Place of origin: Italy
Net weight: 280 grams per bottle
Lot No.: LF046044
Expiry date: April 30, 2024
Importer: Il Bel Paese Ltd.
|Reason For Issuing Alert
- The Centre for Food Safety (CFS) received a notification from the Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF) of the European Commission that the above-mentioned product was detected with cadmium at a level of 2.25 parts per million (ppm), exceeding the legal limit of 2 ppm. According to the information provided by the RASFF, the affected product has been imported into Hong Kong.
- According to the Food Adulteration (Metallic Contamination) Regulations (Cap. 132V), any person who sells food with metallic contamination above the legal limit is liable upon conviction.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety
- The CFS immediately contacted the above-mentioned local importer for follow-up. A preliminary investigation found that the above-mentioned importer had imported into Hong Kong the affected batch of the product concerned.
- The above-mentioned importer has stopped selling and removed from shelves the affected batch of the product upon the CFS's instructions, and has initiated a recall.
- The CFS will alert the trade to the incident, and will continue to follow up on the incident and take appropriate action. An investigation is ongoing.
|Advice to the Trade
- Stop using or selling the affected batches of the product concerned immediately if they possess them.
|Advice to Consumers
- Not to consume the affected batches of the product if they have bought any.
The CFS press release
Members of the public may call the relevant importer at 2868 1328 during office hours for enquiries about the recall.
Photos for reference only:
Centre for Food Safety
Food and Environmental Hygiene Department