Prepackaged dried longan sample in breach of food labelling regulation
|Source of Information
Routine Food Surveillance Programme
Prepackaged dried longan sample
|Product Name and Description
Product name: Dried longan
Net weight: 250 grams
Place of origin: Thailand
Agent: Healfront Limited
Best-before date: February 10, 2024
|Reason For Issuing Alert
- The CFS collected the above-mentioned sample from an online retail outlet for testing under its routine Food Surveillance Programme. The test result showed that the sample contained sulphur dioxide.
- Although the sulphur dioxide level is below the maximum permitted level under the Preservatives in Food Regulation (Cap. 132BD), the functional class and the name of the additive were not declared on the food label.
- The use of preservatives in food must comply with the Preservatives in Food Regulation (Cap. 132BD). Furthermore, the Food and Drugs (Composition and Labelling) Regulations (Cap. 132W) require that prepackaged food shall be legibly marked or labelled with a list of ingredients.
- The regulations also state that for all prepackaged food for sale in Hong Kong containing sulphite in a concentration of 10 parts per million or more, the functional class of the sulphite and its name shall be specified in the list of ingredients.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety
- The CFS has informed the vendor concerned of the irregularity and instructed it to stop sale and remove from shelves the affected batch of the product.
- According to the CFS's instructions, the agent concerned has initiated a recall on the affected batch of the product.
- The CFS will alert the trade, continue to follow up on the incident and take appropriate action. Investigation is ongoing.
|Advice to the Trade
- Stop using or selling the affected batches of the products concerned immediately if they possess them.
|Advice to Consumers
- Not to consume the affected batches of the products if they have bought any.
The CFS press release
Members of the public may call its hotline at 2111 9787 during office hours for enquiries about the recall of the product concerned.
Photos for reference only:
Centre for Food Safety
Food and Environmental Hygiene Department