Stop consuming a kind of French cheese suspected to be contaminated with Shiga toxin-producing E. coli
|Source of Information
Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF) of the European Commission
A kind of cheese imported from France
|Product Name and Description
Product name: Epoisses
Place of origin: France
Manufacturer: Fromages Mons Sas
Importer: FICO International Ltd
Packing: 250 grams per pack
Use-by date: May 11, 2018
|Reason For Issuing Alert
- The Centre for Food Safety (CFS) received a notification from the RASFF that the above-mentioned product tested positive for Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) and is being recalled. According to information provided by the RASFF, a local importer, FICO International Ltd, imported some of the affected product into Hong Kong.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety
- The CFS immediately contacted the importer concerned for follow-up. The importer confirmed that it had imported 3 kilograms of the affected product and all of it had been distributed. It has initiated a recall according to the CFS' advice.
- The CFS will alert the trade to the incident, and will closely monitor the case and take appropriate follow-up action.
|Advice to the Trade
- Stop using or selling the affected product immediately if they possess it.
|Advice to Consumers
- Not to consume the affected product if they have bought any.
The CFS press release
- Enquiries about the recall can be made to the importer's hotline at 2850 4799 during office hours.
Centre for Food Safety
Food and Environmental Hygiene Department