Suspension of import and sale of raw oysters produced by Huitres Geay in France
|Source of Information
Centre for Food Safety (CFS)
|Product Name and Description
Raw oysters produced by Huitres Geay in France
|Reason For Issuing Alert
- The CFS investigation into three food poisoning cases notified by the Centre for Health Protection of the Department of Health found that the cases suspected to be related to raw oysters produced by Huitres Geay in France which were supplied by local importers.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety
- The CFS had suspended the import into and sale within Hong Kong of raw oysters produced by Huitres Geay in France in view of three food poisoning cases suspected to be related to consumption of raw oysters.
- The CFS further investigation found that two more local importers, Taylor Finefoods (Asia) Limited and City Super Limited had imported and sold raw oysters produced by Huitres Geay in France at retail level. The two importers concerned have immediately stopped supplying and selling the affected product, as well as initiating a recall according to CFS' instructions.
- The CFS has informed the French authorities and also notified the local trade. It will continue to follow up on the incident and take appropriate action to safeguard food safety and public health. Investigation is ongoing.
|Advice to the Trade
- Stop using or selling the product concerned if they possess it.
|Advice to Consumers
- Do not consume the product concerned if they had bought it.
- Susceptible groups, such as pregnant women, young children, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems or liver diseases, should avoid eating raw oysters.
The CFS press release (29 Dec 2017)
The CFS press release (30 Dec 2017)
- Members of the public may call the Taylor Finefoods (Asia) Limited's hotline at 2897 9313 and City Super Limited's hotline at 2736 3866 during office hours for enquiries about the recall.
Centre for Food Safety
Food and Environmental Hygiene Department