Pesticide residue exceeds legal limit in banana sample
||0.38 parts per million
|Maximum residue limit:
||0.02 parts per million
||An online vendor
- The CFS has instructed the trade to stop selling the affected product.
- Any person who imports, manufactures or sells any food not in compliance with the requirements of the Pesticide Residues in Food Regulation (Cap 132CM) concerning pesticide residues commits an offence and is liable to a maximum fine of $50,000 and to imprisonment for six months upon conviction.
- Based on the level of Pyraclostrobin detected in the sample, adverse health effects would not be caused under usual consumption.
- The CFS will continue to follow up on the unsatisfactory result, including tracing the source of the food in question and taking sample for testing so as to safeguard public health.
- Investigation is ongoing.
END/ Monday, December 6, 2021