Occasionally schools and childcare facilities will prepare powdered milk to young children. Of note, powdered milk is not a sterile product. Upon preparation, please follow the following advice:
- Powdered infant formula should be prepared with boiled water no less than 70ºC to kills harmful bacteria which may be present.
- Cool the prepared formula quickly to feeding temperature by holding the bottle under cold running water.
- All equipment used for feeding babies and preparing infant formula should be thoroughly cleaned and sanitised.
- Consume the prepared formula within two hours.
- Preparation of infant formula (by Family Health Service of the Department of Health)