The Food Surveillance Programme is designed to control and prevent food hazards. It is a key component of the Centre's food safety assurance programme and is aimed to find out the safety of our food supply.
Inspectors of the Centre take samples at import, wholesale and retail levels for microbiological, chemical and radiation testings. Microbiological testing covers both bacteria and viruses, while chemical testing includes natural toxins, food additives and contaminants. The Centre will continue to promote public awareness and promulgate surveillance results for public information.
The food surveillance programme will be strengthened by making it more risk-based and with a wider coverage. A Food Research Laboratory has been set up within the Public Health Laboratory Centre, which was completed in late 2001. The laboratory researches conducted will provide scientific data for risk assessment and formulation of food surveillance strategies.
To be in line with the international trend of putting more focus on target-based surveillance, the CFS has started to adopt a more targeted and client-oriented approach since 2007. It is a three-tier approach to food surveillance consisting of routine food surveillance, targeted food surveillance and seasonal food surveillance.
Food Surveillance Results :
For the latest monthly Food Safety Reports and Food Surveillance Results, as well as major food incidents and ban on import and sale of food products, please refer to the Press Releases.
- Food Safety Report for June 2022
- Food Safety Report for May 2022
- Food Safety Report for April 2022
- Food Safety Report for March 2022
- Food Safety Report for February 2022
- Food Safety Report for January 2022
Seasonal Food Surveillance
- Seasonal Food Surveillance on Mooncakes(second phase)
- Seasonal Food Surveillance on Mooncakes
- Seasonal Food Surveillance on Rice Dumplings (Second Phase)(with photo)
- Seasonal Food Surveillance on Rice Dumplings (First Phase)(with photo)
- Seasonal Food Surveillance on Lunar New Year food (second Phase)
- Seasonal Food Surveillance on Lunar New Year food (first Phase)
Targeted Food Surveillance
- CFS announces test results of targeted surveillance on nutrition labelling of prepackaged chilled/frozen dumplings and dim sum
- Targeted surveillance of food delivered by online food delivery platforms and food premises offering delivery services (second phase)
- Targeted food surveillance project on frozen confections (first phase) (with photo)
- Targeted surveillance on nutrition labelling of prepackaged candies and chocolates
- Targeted surveillance of food delivered by online food delivery platforms
- Use of sulphur dioxide in meat