| Section 59
|| Examination and seizure and marking or destruction of food or drugs
||Any public officer authorized in writing in that behalf by the Authority may-
- examine any food which is, or which appears to him to be, intended for human consumption, or any drug which is, or which appears to him to be, intended for use by man; and
- seize and remove such food or drug or any package in which the same was contained if it appears to him that such food or drug is unfit for human consumption or for use by man, as the case may be, or that any of the provisions of any regulation made under section 55 or 56 have been contravened in respect thereof; and
- where he is of the opinion that a special procedure is necessary for the examination of any such food which has been imported, or where at the request of the importer he has recourse to such special procedure, direct the importer or any other person in possession of the food to provide all such facilities as may be required for the examination of the food.
||Any person who fails to provide facilities for the examination of imported food in accordance with subsection (1)(c), after having been duly directed to do so by a public officer authorized in writing in that behalf by the Authority, shall be guilty of an offence. (Added 29 of 1976 s. 3)
||If it appears to any public officer authorized in writing in that behalf by the Authority that any food or drug, whether seized under the provisions of subsection (1) or not, is unfit for human consumption or for use by man, respectively, or that any of the provisions of any regulations made under section 55 or 56 have been contravened in respect of any such food or drug, he may-
- affix to such food or drug a mark, seal or other designation; or
- destroy or otherwise dispose of such food or drug or cause the same to be destroyed or otherwise disposed of.
||If any person sells, offers or exposes for sale, or deposits or consigns to any person for the purpose of sale or preparation for sale, or otherwise uses, any food or drug contrary to the purport of any mark, seal or other designation affixed thereto under the provisions of subsection (2), or removes, alters or obliterates any such mark, seal or designation with intent to deceive any person, he shall be guilty of an offence.
||Before any food or drug is destroyed or otherwise disposed of under the provisions of subsection (2), there shall be recorded a description and such other details as will suffice to identify such food or drug, and the Authority shall keep such record in its custody for a period of not less than 12 months.
||If any person considers himself aggrieved by the seizure and removal, or by the marking, sealing or otherwise designating, or by the destruction or other disposal, of any food or drug under the provisions of subsection (1) or (2) he may, within 72 hours after the doing of such act, complain to the court and the court may confirm or disallow the act, either wholly or in part, and shall, in the case of any act disallowed, or disallowed in part, order the removal of such mark, seal or other designation or the restoration of the food or drug seized and removed, either as to the whole or as to such part in respect of which the act was disallowed, or, if the food or drug in question, or any part thereof, has been destroyed or otherwise disposed of, or is no longer fit for human consumption or for use by man, as the case may be, or is depreciated in value at the time of making such order by reason of such act, order the Authority, to pay by way of compensation such sum of money, not exceeding the market value of such food or drug at the time of the doing of such act, as the court may, having regard to the circumstances of the case, consider just.
||In the case of any conviction for an offence under section 54(1) or (2) or for an offence under any of the provisions of any regulation made under section 55, the court may order that any food or drug to which the conviction relates and any similar food or drug found on the defendant's premises or in his possession at the time of the commission of the offence or of the seizure of the food or drug in question, shall be forfeited, together with all packages containing the same.
||Any food or drug, and any package containing the same, forfeited under the provisions of subsection (6) shall be disposed of in such manner as the Authority may direct.