What is the "first-in-first-out" principle? How can we apply it in the storage of food in our kitchens at home? Let’s try the following quiz to see whether you are storing food in a proper way.
Is your way of storing food correct? Do you still remember the above main points? Let's have a quick review!
- To ensure that all foods are consumed within their expiry dates, we should base our choice on the "first-in-first-out" principle and consume foods which were purchased the earliest and whose remaining shelf life is the shortest.
- The leftover canned food should be put in a clean container with cover (or properly wrapped) and kept in the refrigerator. Leftovers should be consumed within one or two days and reheated thoroughly before consumption.
- Anything left from the leftovers should be discarded after the second time of consumption.
- Non-prepackaged dry food should be kept in a clean container with the name of the food and the date of purchase and stored at a cool dry place.
- Food and chemicals such as detergent should not be stored together.