When you purchase food….
- Don't patronize illegal hawkers.
- Ensure that all materials for food preparation are obtained from reliable and reputable sources.
- Pay attention to the conditions of food. Don't buy exposed food and food which looks, and smells abnormal.
- Canned food should be free of dents, cracks or bulging lids.
- When buying live fish and shellfish, check whether the container and water for keeping them are clean. Buy only shellfish which are fresh; have intact shells; and are free from abnormal odour.
- Choose foods or food ingredients processed for safety, such as pasteurized milk as opposed to raw milk.
- When buying pre-packaged food, read carefully the label, especially the "use by" or "best before" date and the list of ingredients. Don't buy expired food or food with ingredients not meeting your demand.
- Purchase cold products last.
- Use separate packages for raw food.