The method adopted by Government Laboratory for testing phthalate
The method adopted by GL for testing phthalate is summarized as follows:
- Deuterated internal standard is added to the food sample before extraction.
- Depending on the types of food samples, distilled solvent such as dichloromethane or acetonitrile is used for extraction of phthalates.
- The final extract, in an appropriate solvent depending on the determination technique, is then analyzed by LC-MS/MS in MRM mode.
- The quantification and confirmation criteria follow the EC directive 2002/657/EC.
- For samples with complicated matrices, other analytical techniques such as standard addition method may be used for analysis.
- As a precautionary measure, avoid using plastic ware to prevent phthalates contamination.